"I think the 50(mm lens) is an extremely good discipline lens; it requires you to see in a more refined way, not just tighter." – William Albert
This is a truly value for money lens. At a RRP of SGD $159 (Street Price $120), this lens are most photographers’ first prime lens. Fairly priced as Canon’s cheapest lens in the whole EF Lens Line, this lens performs well and fast. It work very well in low light conditions and the image are sharp and crisp – a norm for prime lenses. The F1.8 gives great bokeh (blur off/ off focus blurring) when appropriately used for portraits. The end results are often amazing and of exceptional quality thus earning it’s positive nicknames. This lens is also Canon’s lightest lens at 4.6 oz and one of the smallest too. When used on a cropped body, it gives the user a 80mm range which is great for portraits and once mounted on a full frame body, the 50mm is good enough to be a walkabout lens. However, the only complain I have about this lens is, the focusing motor are very noisy. It sqeaks a lot – typical of old skool micro motor (MM). Probably also explains the cheap retail price for this lens. At that price, will you complain?
(If you are looking for the specs, please google yourself, it’s all over the internet.)
– Filter 52mm
– Lens Hood ES-62 (needs adapter ring 62-L).
– Great lens for Infra-red Photography (IR).
– Runs on Micro Motor (MM).
– Focal Range when used on bodies with smaller APS-C sensors – 80mm.
– EF Mount is designed for use on Canon’s EOS Full Frame & Cropped Bodies (with corresponding increase x1.6 APS-C or x1.3 APS-H)
What I Like:
– Sharp photos with great Bokeh when wide open..
– Great portrait lens for my 500D & 350D-IR.
– Great walkabout lens for my 5D Mark II.
– Good price.
– Good travelling size & weight.
– Fast Lens.
What I Hate:
– The plastic construction.
– The AF micro motor (MM) is dated and very, very noisy.
– The tiny focusing ring is miserably small.
– No Distance scale.
*Picture Source Internet.
Add Us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ourshutterjourney
Join Us on Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104720569560391#!/group.php?gid=104720569560391