Olympus Imaging Singapore is pleased to introduce a new PEN Lite series camera that conforms to the Micro Four Thirds System standard – the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5, designed for users who take pleasure in active photography.
- FAST AF for instantaneous autofocusing and Touch AF Shutter on the Live View screen let users experiment with a whole new way of shooting
- 16.05-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI image processing engine for high image quality equivalent to the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 in a compact, lightweight body
- 12 Art Filters including a new “Water Colour” filter supported by Variations and Art Effects for even more creative artistic expression capabilities
The mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera market pioneered by Olympus with the PEN series is fast expanding in Japan and Asia where mirrorless cameras now account for 50% of the interchangeable lens camera market, as well as in Europe and the United States of America.*1
Following up on the success of the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL3, which was praised by critics for its combination of high functionality and ease of use in a stylish, ultra-compact body, Olympus has refined and improved on its formula with the new OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5.
Like its predecessor E-PL3, the E-PL5 is designed for people who want to enjoy the pleasures of high-end photography without crimping their lifestyle. At the same time, the E-PL5 boasts some pretty significant improvements in image quality, functionality and ease of use.
The E-PL5 takes its imaging cues from Olympus’ top-of-the-line flagship model, the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5, by incorporating the same 16.05-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI image processing engine that have made the image quality and sensitivity of the OM-D E-M5 the unmatched standard for Micro Four Thirds system cameras. For style and design, the E-PL5 looks to the OLYMPUS PEN E-P3 for its convenient, stylish, and very functional detachable grip. Finally, from the E-PL3, it inherits the swiveling monitor that enables monitoring during self-portrait shooting with a greatly expanded swiveling range. In the E-PL5, Olympus has brought together the best from its entire lineup, refined and improved them, and combined them all in a compact, lightweight body.
Exciting new features include the Touch AF Shutter function, which lets the user take a picture simply by touching the Live View screen. In combination with the FAST AF system that made the OM-D E-M5 the world’s fastest autofocusing camera*2, digital photographers can now capture precisely the image they want at precisely the moment they want it. With instantaneous focusing and a capacitive touchscreen panel that reacts immediately to the lightest touch, the camera will not shake at the moment the shutter is released, assuring maximum clarity and stability. Incredibly effective with moving subjects, the Touch AF Shutter will make new ways of shooting possible, taking the creative power and excitement of photography to a whole new level.
The Art Filters that have been one of the most defining characteristics of Olympus system cameras have also improved. Offering a total of twelve filter effects, including the new Water Colour plus supporting functions like Variations, Art Effects and the new Monochrome effect, the E-PL5 gives users the opportunity to express their own unique perspective, bringing their vision to life with brilliant, easy-to-use effects.
Much more than just an incremental upgrade, the E-PL5 truly fulfills the PEN concept of functional beauty, evolving the system to a new level of maturity with comprehensive advances in all elements, including image quality, functionality and operability. With the E-PL5, Olympus has created a Micro Four Thirds system camera that consolidates the digital photography revolution, setting a new standard for a new age.
With the introduction of the E-PL5, Olympus has made it clear that the Micro Four Thirds system is here to stay. And, of course, Olympus remains committed to advancing the evolution of the system in the future with to create and expand into new markets.
- OLYMPUS Image Share: Take pictures with Flash Air card and send them to a smartphone via WiFi for posting pictures with Social Networking Service (SNS) app
- Improved resolution and noise at ISO12800
- New 16.05-megapixel Live MOS Sensor, TruePic VI image processor and Fine Detail technology for improved resolution and noise
- Self-portrait monitor for best composition of background scenery and self
- Tilt monitor for taking pictures from various angle (65° for high angle shots to 90° for low angle shots)
- Custom self-timer function for posing before taking pictures in self-portrait monitor
- High speed continuous shooting (8 fps with High Speed Sequential Shoot; 3.5 fps with 3D Tracking AF)
- Art Fade feature allows Art Filters to be gradually changed while shooting movies
- Movie tele-converter enables 4x magnification in full HD quality
- Able to download background music to be during slide show playback*1 Source: CIPA Statistics digital camera new-category statistics, shipment tables July to September and October to December 2011. Olympus in-house survey.*2 Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras announced for release as of February 8, 2012. The time from the start of autofocusing to the start of exposure after focusing on a subject at a distance of 1 metre was measured with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens mounted on the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5, with focal length of 35mm (equivalent to 70mm of the 35mm cameras) and focus position set to infinity. Measured based on Olympus in-house measurement standards.OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 AccessoriesOlympus will also release exclusive accessories for the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5. Stylish and rugged, these accessories provide sturdy protection that will allow users to enjoy casual convenience, carrying these cameras comfortably wherever they go. These accessories will be released, following the release of the camera.
- CS-38B Leather Body Jacket
The CS-38B is a genuine leather body jacket designed exclusively for the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5. It protects the sensitive parts of the camera body without detracting from its design. In addition to the practical aspect of camera body protection, the body jacket’s genuine leather and rugged construction combine casual, contemporary styling with the rugged elegance of traditional craftsmanship. That stylish appearance is enhanced by a choice of four colours for easy coordination with the CSS-S109LLII Leather Shoulder Strap,
A recessed mounting screw ensures that the bottom of the jacket is flat, providing maximum stability when the camera is set down and enhancing its sleek looks. A tripod can be attached without removing the jacket, and, of course, shooting and playback is possible while viewing the rear-panel LCD without taking the camera out of the body jacket.
- MCG-3PR Premium Camera Grip (Dot/Houndstooth Check/Stripe patterns)
- LC-37PR Premium Lens Cap (Dot/Houndstooth Check/Stripe patterns)
The OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 employs the same interchangeable grip design first made popular by the OLYMPUS PEN E-P3. Available in three patterns, the MCG-3PR Camera Grip makes it easy to accessorise with style. The matching LC-37PR Lens Cap, available in the same three patterns, lets the user create a colour-coordinated combination that enhances the system’s sense of integration.
The Dot, Hounds tooth Check, and Stripe patterns are inspired by popular and traditional fabrics that are always in style. Wrapping the entire camera with a unique, integrated image, they allow the user to enjoy the satisfaction and pride of ownership that customisation entails. The camera grip can also be used with the PEN E-P3.
- BCL-1580 Body Cap Lens (15mm f8) with Dual Function
1.1 The BCL-1580 is a lens that is so thin – just 9mm thick – that it can easily be mistaken for a camera-mount body cap. With three glass lens elements in three groups, it can be used as a wide-angle lens equivalent with a single focal length of 30mm (35mm camera equivalent). In addition to daily use as a “pan-focus” lens featuring a wide angle, fixed f8 aperture and shallow depth of field, it is compatible with manual focusing using a lever and capable of close-up shooting as close as 30 cm.
1.2 A lens-protection barrier is provided so the lens can be mounted permanently on the camera and even put in a pocket together with the camera. Serving as a body cap when carrying the camera and as a pan-focus snapshot lens when taking pictures, this lens is the ideal choice for everyday shooting.
The PT-EP10 is a genuine underwater case designed exclusively for use with the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5, making it possible to create a reliable underwater photography system*3 capable of withstanding depths up to 45 metres.
Included with the PT-EP10 underwater case is a large diffuser that allows it to be used in combination with the removable flash (provided with the camera body). The provided flash features wireless flash control capability so the UFL-2 Underwater Flash can be fired from the camera.
The lens port integrated with the case can accept the PTWC-01 Underwater Wide Conversion Lens or PTMC-01 Underwater Macro Conversion Lens for easy wide-angle or macro underwater shooting.
To enable easy shooting of underwater pictures with vivid colors, the underwater white balance control function incorporated in the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 detects and corrects underwater colour tones that can vary depending on factors such as water depth, weather and seawater condition. Underwater images with almost no blue colour cast can be captured even when shooting movies.
*Lenses compatible with this underwater case include the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8 and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm f1.8
- PPZR-EP03 Focus Gear (Optional Item for PT-EP10 Underwater Case)
The PPZR-EP03 Focus Gear is designed for use with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro lens. When attached to the lens, this gear enables manual focusing during underwater shooting. In addition to the PT-EP10, the PPZR-EP03 Focus Gear can also be used with other Underwater Cases: the PT-EP01 (for OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL1) and PT-E08 (for OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5).
The OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 is available in Silver, Black and White*4 at Olympus authorised retailers from October 2012 onwards.
The OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 accessories will be available at selected Olympus authorised retailers from the following dates.
- CS-38B Leather Body Jacket: October 2012
- MCG-3PR Premium Camera Grip: October 2012
- LC-37PR Premium Lens Cap: October 2012
- BCL-1580 Body Cap Lens (15mm f8): October 2012
- PT-EP10 Underwater Case: October 2012
- PPZR-EP03 Focus Gear: November 2012
Recommended Retail Price
Option 1: OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 Single Lens Kit: TBA
- Body (Available colours: Silver, Black and White*4)
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR
Option 2: OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5 Double Zoom Kit: TBA
- Body (Available colours: Silver, Black and White*4)
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 IIR
- M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R
- CS-38B Leather Body Jacket: TBA
- MCG-3PR Premium Camera Grip: TBA
- LC-37PR Premium Lens Cap: TBA
- BCL-1580 Body Cap Lens (15mm f8): TBA
- PT-EP10 Underwater Case: TBA
- PPZR-EP03 Focus Gear: TBA
*4 When the body colour is Silver or White, lens colour will be Silver. When the body colour is Black, lens colour will be Black.
For the list of authorised retailers, please visit http://home.olympusimage.com.sg/contactus/authorised_retailers.asp
About Olympus Imaging Singapore
Olympus Imaging Singapore is the unparalleled industry leader in opto-digital technologies, delivering award-winning digital imaging products for the consumer and professional markets in Singapore. Driven by a strong commitment in providing innovative products and solutions of the highest quality, Olympus Imaging Singapore works closely with industry partners, customers and other Olympus business units in producing leading-edge products. These include analogue and digital cameras, professional SLR imaging systems, and voice recorders, amongst others. Olympus Imaging Singapore’s unrelenting efforts in superior customer service also bear testimony to its brand promise of delivering the best user experience to all consumers and professional users in the imaging field. For more information, please visit http://www.olympusimage.com.sg.