* picture: EF 17-40mm F4L USM.
Image quality suffers slightly at F4 where the center is sharp and the corners are slightly soft. However, from F5.6 onwards, every details is sharp from corner to corner. This lens is moderately priced – within reach for most enthusiasts or advanced amatuers thus explaining its popularity. The focusing are super fast and accurate while the ring USM ensures silent operation on the internal focusing lens body. There is a bigger brother who are twice as fast – the EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM), but cost twice as high too, so before buying your UWA lens, do take into consideration the applications you are going to use for. As for me, I selected the EF 17-40mm f4L USM over the EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM was purely the fact that I do landscape shots during the day most of the time and I use tripod for almost every night shoot. So this is not a problem at all. For tight indoor/interior shoot or handheld, I use flash to bounce off light so F4 is not exactly handicapped too. For the attractive price and ultra wide angle, I selected this lens. Did I also mentioned that this lens produce great colors too?
(If you are looking for the specs, please google yourself, it’s all over the internet.)
– Filter Size is 77mm
– Lens Hood is EW-83E (Supplied in Box).
– Average lens for Infra-red Photography (IR) portraits. Slight hotspotting appears at 17mm & 24mm stops.
– Ring Ultrasonic Motor (USM)/ (Not Micro USM) – the real deal.
– Weather Sealing (only when used with a front screw-on filter)
– Focal Range when used on bodies with smaller APS-C sensors – 27-64mm.
– EF Mount is designed for use on Canon’s EOS Full Frame & Cropped Bodies (with corresponding increase x1.6 APS-C or x1.3 APS-H)
What I Like:
– Sharp photos with great color reproduction.
– Great walkabout lens for my 500D & 350D-IR.
– Super Wide when used with my 5D Mark II.
– L-Series Build Quality & Construction.
– Good travelling size & weight.
– Fast Focusing.
– Silent Operation.
– Weather Sealing.
– Moderately Priced.
– Distance Scale.
What I Hate:
– The supplied hood EW-83E is pretty useless and the size makes it hard for storage.
– Useless leather lens pouch that came in the Box.
*Picture Source Internet.
Add Us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ourshutterjourney
Join Us on Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104720569560391#!/group.php?gid=104720569560391