World’s fastest f2.0 TOUGH camera · TOUGH picture quality blows competition out of the water · New TG-1 lens and display quality put rivals to shame · f2.0 high-speed lens and converters deliver at 12 metres depth.
Singapore, 8 May 2012 – Even by the extremely high standards of Olympus’ category-defining TOUGH range of cameras, the new OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-1 flagship takes remarkable pictures and boasts some remarkable features.
First and foremost is its superb, extra-wide aperture f2.0 high-speed lens that can capture excellent-quality images even in the permanent twilight found 12 metres underwater, which is exactly where this camera is engineered to excel. The TG-1 is waterproof*, shockproof*, freezeproof* and crushproof*. For all-action risk-takers or reef-loving divers, it is peace of mind sealed in a stylish all-metal box. And what a box of high-tech innovations that is. For serious photographers, waterproof fisheye and tele converter lenses are available (via an optional adapter). There are Olympus’ iHS (Intelligence, High Sensitivity and High Speed) technologies, plus a colour-rich, high-contrast, anti-reflective OLED display, GPS and e.compass and three new shooting modes: Low Light, Super Sports and Super Macro. It is an impressive package that puts rival compacts firmly in their place. The OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-1 is available in Silver from mid-June 2012 onwards.
Let there be light
No matter how tough your camera, in the end it is excellent picture quality that counts. And picture quality is what the new TOUGH flagship is all about. Its f2.0 super-bright, high-speed lens gives the name TOUGH a new meaning – it is really tough to get anything less than an outstanding shot. The lens is an eye-opening example of cutting-edge optical engineering. Combined with the powerful TruePic VI image processor and 12-Megapixel low-noise, high-sensitivity CMOS sensor, this lens makes it possible to shoot pictures that until now simply was not feasible with an outdoor-proof camera at this price. In low light conditions and with fast-moving, auto-focused images, the new lens transforms the range of shots you can take. The TG-1 also features the same FAST AF system technology found in Olympus’ PEN cameras, so in fast-action situations you have an excellent chance of getting your Full HD movie or pristine still.
Unlike most cameras in the compact class, you can attach waterproof converters to the TG-1 using an adapter. A fisheye converter captures wider, more dynamic images even in dark underwater scenes; while the tele converter lets you increase the optical zoom ratio by 6.8x – for dramatic close-ups with professional-looking background blur. With the Super-resolution Zoom feature, you can even reach 13.6x magnification.
Let the games begin
The new TOUGH is for people who do not want to hold back. It is a worry-free camera that makes life a whole lot more fun. From the top of an Alpine mountain to the bottom of a tropical lagoon, you can take it everywhere and capture everything. It is crushproof* to a force of 100kg, waterproof* to a depth of 12 metres, shockproof* to a height of 2 metres and freezeproof* to -10°C. What’s more, the TG-1 is equipped with new features that make recording movies and stills even easier in tricky conditions. Like the Low Light Mode that automatically speeds up the shutter to prevent blur when you want to capture the special atmosphere of a low-light scene. Or the Super Macro Mode that lets you zoom in for spectacular close-ups of objects just one centimetre from the lens.
• Crushproof to 100kg*, waterproof* to 12m, shockproof* to 2m and freezeproof* to -10°C for worry-free use anytime anywhere
• Sliding double lock mechanism and metal body for optimum protection of battery, card slots and ports
• Hard glass lens barrier for extra-tough lens protection
• Water-repellent and scratch resistant double seal technology
• GPS and e.compass with unique three-sensor technology for orientation and key information at a glance
• Improved TAP Control Mode for controlling the camera by tapping or tilting the body, ideal when wearing gloves
• Built-in manometer for checking depth underwater
• LED Illuminator for lighting up underwater scenes or macro subjects
• 4x wide optical zoom (25-100mm**) for shooting flexibility
• 12-Megapixel backlit CMOS sensor for high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints
• f2.0-4.9 wide-aperture high-speed lens for dramatic shots with low depth of field or reduced blur in low light
• Powerful TruePic VI image engine for faster recovery time and shutter release plus excellent image quality
• iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want regardless of shooting conditions
• Low Light Mode for sharper, more atmospheric shots in low light
• Super Sports Mode for sharper sequential shots of fast-moving subjects
• Super Macro Mode for stunning macros just 1cm from the lens
• 1080p Full HD Movie with sound for capturing movies in the best image quality currently available in compact cameras
• Multi-motion Movie IS for recording Full HD movies with reduced blur while walking
• Dual Image Stabilisation for reducing blur with fast-moving shots
• HDR Backlight Adjustment for ideal exposure when shooting against the light
• Magic Filters for adding creative effects to HD movies and/or stills: Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Soft Focus, Fish Eye, Sparkle (photos only), Watercolour, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented (photos only), Dramatic
• Advanced Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto) and AF Tracking for easy setting and focusing
• Face Detection and Advanced Shadow Adjustment Technology for capturing people’s faces just as you want them
• Super-resolution Zoom for digitally extending the range of the optical zoom with virtually no loss of image quality
• 3D photo shooting mode for striking stills
• ISO 100 to 6400
• Beauty Make-up Mode for hiding unwanted blemishes
• Pet Detection Mode for automatically capturing dog’s or cat’s faces when they look at the camera
• In-Camera Panorama for quick and easy panorama shots
• Scene Mode for automatic settings that suit specific conditions, including Landscape, Night and i-Underwater Snapshot
Storage and Sharing
• 3.0” OLED (610,000 dots) display for improved playback and visibility during shooting with enhanced contrast, brightness and angle of view
• SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible***
• Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
• Photo Surfing and [ib] software for browsing, organising and viewing images by person, place, location or event
• HDMI technology for controlling your camera from one remote when it is connected to HD equipment
• Built-in flash
• In-camera help guide
• USB charging
* Waterproof according to IEC standard publication 529 IPX8. Shockproof figures equivalent to MIL Standard (Olympus test conditions). Freezeproof according to Olympus test conditions.
** 35mm camera equivalent
*** SD is a trademark of SD Card Association. UHS I is not supported
Recommended Retail Price and Availability
The OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-1 is available in Silver at Olympus authorised retailers from mid-June 2012 onwards.
Recommended retail price: To be confirmed
For the list of authorised retailers, please visit
About Olympus Imaging Singapore
Olympus Imaging Singapore is the unparalleled industry leader in opto-digital technologies, delivering award-winning digital imaging products for the consumer and professional markets in Singapore. Driven by a strong commitment in providing innovative products and solutions of the highest quality, Olympus Imaging Singapore works closely with industry partners, customers and other Olympus business units in producing leading-edge products. These include analogue and digital cameras, professional SLR imaging systems, and voice recorders, amongst others. Olympus Imaging Singapore’s unrelenting efforts in superior customer service also bear testimony to its brand promise of delivering the best user experience to all consumers and professional users in the imaging field. For more information, please visit http://www.olympusimage.com.sg.
More information & specs? Wait till I get my hands on a review unit.
Meantime, press photos.