GOLDEN, CO. – PENTAX Imaging Company announced the Optio RZ18 digital compact camera. Featuring a slim, lightweight body, the new model offers a powerful 18X optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 25mm wide angle to 450mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format). The Optio RZ18 is the latest addition to the RZ zoom lens series, which provides photographers simple, effortless shooting of a wide variety of subjects and occasions, from travel and landscape to action and spectator sports.The Optio RZ18 features include:
• Generous 18X zoom (equivalent to 25-450mm) with extra wide angle lens captures subjects near and far.
• High resolution 16 megapixel sensor for large prints or aggressive image cropping.
• Slim footprint for outstanding portability and inconspicuous use.
• Multiple PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) image stabilization options, including sensor-shift SR, for sharp images in any lighting.
• Large 3 inch LCD with HVGA resolution (460,000 dots).
• Powerful automatic shooting modes such as Auto Picture and scene modes take the guesswork out of great photography.
• Creative special effects filters add artistic flair to the common snapshot.
• Advanced 9-point autofocus with a 4cm super macro mode.
• Face detection for perfectly focused and exposed portraits, includes a dedicated pet recognition feature.
• Widescreen HD video in 720p at 30 frames per second.
The Optio RZ18 will available in black, pearl white or metallic orange for $299.95USD in October 2011.
PENTAX OPTIO RZ18 FACT SHEET 18X optical zoom lens with 25mm wide-angle coverage to handle a variety of subjects and scenes
The Optio RZ18 features a high-performance 18X optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 25mm wide angle to 450mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format). The extra-wide zoom range captures a wide range of subjects and scenes — from spectacular landscapes to fast-action sports events. It also offers high-quality macro shooting down to just four centimeters from the subject and a digital wide function for an ultra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approximately 19mm lens in the 35mm format) from two separate images. An Intelligent Zoom function further extends the zoom range to approximately 130 times to cover the focal length of an approximately 3250mm super-telephoto lens (in the 35mm format).
Exceptional image quality assured by latest super-resolution technology
With 16 effective megapixels, a high-performance smc PENTAX zoom lens and the advanced image processing system — a system that uses the latest super-resolution technology to optimize image quality through meticulous section-by-section treatment of the captured image — the Optio RZ18 delivers well-defined, high-quality images with extra-fine resolution. Even when images are enlarged to large sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
Multiple Shake Reduction for sharp, blur-free images
With a sensor-shift Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism and Pixel Track SR, the Optio RZ18’s dual shake reduction effectively reduces camera shake to a minimum for more blur-free images even under shake-prone shooting conditions such as when using the telephoto lens or when shooting at sunset or in indoor scenes. Other SR options include traditional high ISO Digital SR and Movie SR for steady video recording.
Extra-large 3 inch LCD monitor
The Optio RZ18 features an HVGA high-resolution 3 inch color LCD monitor. This extra-large monitor provides a clear view of images and menus so photographers easily may check captured images and menu settings. The Optio RZ18 also offers a setting to magnify the letters displayed, by which users can further enhance the legibility of the menus and the operability of the camera.
Auto Picture mode
The Optio RZ18 features the PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by accurately assessing various photographic conditions on and around the subject. This user-friendly mode selects one of 16 shooting modes (including Blue Sky, Sunset, Pet, and many more) and optimizes various camera settings (including sensitivity and shutter speed)
for better results with minimal effort.
Upgraded Pet mode for automatic detection of dog and cat faces
The Optio RZ18 features the latest version of the Pet mode, which comes in handy when taking pictures of dogs and cats. This unique mode not only detects the faces of dogs and cats with great accuracy, but it also gives priority to three pre-registered pet faces over unregistered ones, so that users can effortlessly focus on and expose for their own pets when in a group of pets.
High-quality HDTV movie recording
The Optio RZ18 captures beautiful, 720p high-definition-TV-quality movie clips (1280 x 720 pixels).* It also comes equipped with the sophisticated Movie Shake Reduction (SR) mode,** which automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting with the help of exclusive software. With the Optio RZ18, everyone can enjoy high-quality movie shooting with minimal effort.
* When the Optio RZ18’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output as normal image-size data. If the user wishes to play back movie clips at high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must be transferred to a personal computer for playback.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
Automatic face detection for beautiful, lively snapshots
The Optio RZ18 features the sophisticated Face Detection AF & AE function. This sophisticated feature instantly and accurately detects as many as 32 faces within the image field, then catches them in sharp focus and optimum exposure in a mere 0.03 seconds — even when some of the faces are tilted or turned away from the camera. To assist the photographer in capturing beautiful, lively snapshots, the Optio RZ18 also comes equipped with other user-friendly features, including:
• Smile Capture mode that automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile
• Blink Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
• Wireless remote-control shooting using an optional PENTAX infrared remote controllers
• Burst shooting of up to 40 images, at a maximum speed of approximately 9 images per second
• Digital filters, including Miniature, Toy Camera, and more to add creative visual effects
• Choice of three image ratios (4:3, 16:9 and 1:1) to accommodate different shooting applications
• D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
• Digital Panorama mode to effortlessly create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
• Image viewing, editing and filing software included: MediaImpression 3.1 for PENTAX (Windows version compatible with Windows 7) and MediaImpression 2.1 for PENTAX (Macintosh version compatible with Mac OS X 10.7)
• Eye-Fi connected experience: optimized for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
PENTAX, Optio and smc PENTAX are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
This product supports PRINT Image Matching III. PRINT Image Matching enabled digital still cameras, printers and software help photographers to produce images more faithful to their intentions. Some functions are not available on printers that are not PRINT Image Matching III compliant.
Copyright 2001 Seiko Epson Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Print Image Matching is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
The PRINT Image Matching logo is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
Eye-Fi, the Eye-Fi logo and Eye-Fi connected are trademarks of Eye-Fi, Inc.
Macintosh and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Design and Specifications are subject to change without notice