“Oil-Painting” Photography Class – by Charlie Lim
– by the “Painter of Light”.
06th May 2015, Singapore.
About Charlie Lim
FMPA (UK), FCTPC, FWPPM, Hon SCPC, SOE Nominee 2009
Charlie is a man of varied talents and foresight. He is professionally trained in Advertising and Commercial Photography. Discipline and perseverance are the pillars of Charlie’s success. Talent and his passion for art are the brick and mortar that build his vision to blur the lines between photography and fine art.
Through years of research, Charlie has developed a new art form that he calls “Oil-Painting” Photography. Charlie’s images dwell on the boundaries of fine art and photography.
In his portraitures, Charlie employs a Baroque approach of dramatic play of light and shadow where he ‘paints’ his figures in the dark with a light source. The results resemble Rembrandt’s paintings. On closer look, the term “Light” is double entendre; Charlie captures movements akin to Degas’. His moving figures embodied a sense of lightness with a hint of surrealistic whimsy. His subjects glide effortlessly along the frames, exuding mystery and beauty.
“Oil-Painting” Photography has propelled Charlie to international fame. He is much sought after and frequently featured in various media.
Since year 2008, Charlie had media coverage in at least 7 countries namely, Australia, London, Philippines, India, Vietnam and Singapore. His works were also featured in Vietnam TV in May 2014 and invited to have another live telecast in early 2015.
His latest achievement has to be the selection by the World Wide Art Books, publisher of the International Masters of Photography Volume II, a juried annual, invite-only art photography publication presenting noteworthy photographers from all over the world. Each volume of this series presents the work of 100 noteworthy photographers from the world, displaying a cross section of what is happening in photography
in all its genres, worldwide.
- Featured in Asian Photography (Singapore) Magazine
- International Speaker for WPPM Penang 2011 Alumni
- Two of Charlie’s “Oil-Painting” photographs were nominated under the “Portrait” and “Nude” categories at the International Color Awards/5th Annual Photography Master Cup (UK) out of 11,321 entries from 83 countries.
- Conferred the Title of Fellowship by WPPM (Wedding and Portrait Photography Malaysia)
- Nominated by Ngee Ann Kongxi for “The Photographer of the Year 2012”
- Featured in the Black Magazine, Singapore
- Demonstration at “HR Summit 2012” by SPH CATS Recruit at Marina Bay Sand Convention
- Featured at “Money Week” Media Corp (Channel U)
- Demonstration on stage at the Success Resources Conference (Expo Hall)
- International Speaker in Kuala Lumpur WPPM Photo Conference
- Demonstration at Four Season Hotel (ACS Alumni ‘63)
- “Oil-Painting” photography Demonstration on stage at the Global Social Innovator Forum (Singapore). Charlie had “painted” 30 selected international speakers.
- Performed Light Painting Photography at 313@Somerset X’mas promotion for 9-days event.
- Invited to teach Fine Art Photography at South View Primary School (6 sessions).
- Won another nominated award from the 6th Annual Photography Masters Cup (USA) selected from 86 countries and 8521 entries under “Fashion” Category.
- Stage Performing at SAFRA Club (Yishun) in front of 600 people
- Selected and published in the World Wide Art Books, publisher of the International Masters of Photography.
- Invited to judge for 2nd France and Singapore Photographic Art Awards by Alliance Francaise de Singapour.
- Demonstration on stage for Financial Services Managers’ Association (FSMA Annual Singapore Market Award)
- Street performance to the public at the Art Festival organized by The National Museum.
- Invited to perform on stage at Global Social Innovators’ Forum 2013 Gala Dinner for the 2nd Year.
- Painted 28 individuals and 7 couples of the invited guests of David Morris in 2-days event at Fullerton Hotel.
- Performed on stage at SILA – Singapore Landscape Architect Award at Grand Copthorne Hotel.
- Won another Nominee in 7th Annual Photography Masters Cup in Nude Category.
- Won the finalists of the 2014 International Art Competition selected by the Jury for participation at the Highline Loft Gallery in New York.
- Senior Care Golf Tournament Charity Event – Demonstration on stage with ESM Goh Chok Tong.
- Performed and “Painted” over 100 guests including His Excellency of Korean Ambassy at Hyundai Genesis car launch.
- Demonstration on stage at Wedding Showcase for Grand Copthorne Hotel.
- Commissioned to perform at Dallas (Boat Quay) for WD – My Passport product launch. “Painted”
40 media personnel.
- Invited to demonstrate to 115 teachers, board of directors and admin personnel of North Spring Primary School for their Staff Retreat Day at Amara Sanctuary Resort.
- One of Charlie’s work received a Bronze by the Judges of International Loupe Awards.
- Invited by Arttour International Magazine to participate in their ATIM’s Top 60 Masters of Contemporary Art 2015.
- 2nd Interview by Vietnam TV to showcase his work.
- Invited to give talk on “Oil-Painting” Photography to Tanglin Secondary School student CCA Session.
- Performed on stage at Ocean Gallery @Resort World Sentosa,for Bruderer Presses and “painted” the Swiss Ambassador.
- Won another 3 Nominee Awards at the 8th Annual International Color Awards of the Nude and Fashion categories among 7358 entries from 79 countries.
To Sign Up for Charlie’s Class, Click here.