Pink Submissions #06 “Red: Editor’s Pick
06th February 2015, Singapore – This is the 6th Pink Submissions by Pink Photographers Singapore (PPSG). For this round, we took on the theme of “Red” – and making it more challenging, I added that no Chinese New Year (CNY) related photos should be submitted since CNY is all about Red – the auspicious color that all Chinese believes in.
Red has multiple meanings, significance and symbolism to many things. It can be happiness, danger, sexiness, fresh, lively etc and this gives the photographers lots of versatility to play with for this submission. We received a total of 149 entries this round and by far, the largest number from a single female-based photography group and we are indeed overwhelmed by the response.
Before we go to the submissions, here’s some words from the Editor as well as the sponsor P & G Photographic Centre.
“As the curator and editor, I must share that I happy to see many new photographers submitting their works and on overall, the standards had been raised again by the entries. Good job ladies! You gals made my hard work all worthwhile. I enjoy the photos very much – thank you!”
– AL, Editor.
“Red may be just a color, but it holds an ocean. We love the entries ”
– David Phan, P & G Photographic Centre.
Enjoy the entries!
(Winners Announcement after the jump)
(Appearance not in any order)
Editor’s Picks #06 Pink Submission “RED”.
– Let’s see what or how the Pink Photographers define the theme “Red” and how they expressed the theme into images. For this round, I am doing away with the commentaries but instead, I would like to invite you to look at the selected entries and try to understand (or figure out) why we picked these excellent images. Here we go.
1) Red Baby Octopus – Adelene Ng
2) Red Strawberries – Alice Chia
3) Red Dining Table – Alice Hsu
6) Red Post Box – Ellis Jade Tay
7) Red Chrysanthemum – Iris Eu
8) Red Classic Mercedes Benz -Joanna Ng
9) Red Umbrella – Lee Siew Yian
10) Red Art Display – Low Poh Ai
11) Red Singapore Cheer Banners – Magdalene Teo-Yong
12) Red Window – Cindy (Muse Muse)
13) Red Prakeet – Nanette Cruz
14) Red Shoes – Neelima Patnaik
15) Red Apples – Norafida Tomoshika Luketika
17) Red Sun Shades – Soh Chui Lian
18) Red Descending Walkway – Suvarna Devacharan
19) Red Cut Asian Chilli – Tan Huihui
20) Red Jellyfishes – Zhang Tiantian
22) Red Temple Doors – Fione (Wee & Soh)
And the Prize Winners for the #06 PINK SUBMISSION are!
– Proudly Sponsored by P & G Photographic Centre.
1st Prize – Lee Siew Yian
“The Red Umbrella”
(Prize: SunPro Dry-Box)
Editor’s Note: This is surely an interesting way to present an umbrella. Using the backlight, Siew Yian plays with the shadows from the umbrella structure against the design on the umbrella surface creating a superb image with a depth of thoughts. This is the type of image that I will print and hang it in my office – for it evokes inner thoughts and sends you off to another dimension especially when you are already deep in it.
Well Done Siew Yian!
2nd Prize – Regina Mak
(Prize: Pentax 35mm Compact Camera)
Editor’s Note: Red, when presented on a person can make or break the overall effect of expressing over an image. This model has the “right looks” at the “right place” at the “right angle” with the “right light” and in the “right color”. Honestly, we have nothing “left” to complain about – in fact we love how this portrait was presented by Regina.
We love this Regina!
3rd Prize – Cindy (Muse Muse)
(Prize: Steinzeisser 4-Section Tripod)
Editor’s Note: A Red Window opens the world, your world into thousand of possibilities. Cindy presented this interesting image of a red window set against a dullish looking wall with a few pigeons on the latch – made us took a few extra looks. For this image evokes memories, missed opportunities and an insane mix of positives and negatives nicely blended together. This image is powerful.
Good job Cindy!
And! We have a special mention of the below entries!
Cool entry by Tan Huihui “Red Cut Asian Chilli”
Editor’s Note: Maybe I am a fan of Chilli. We just love this image by Huihui for no reason. 🙂
Congratulations to All the Winners & Those Who are on Special Mention!
You will be Notified on the Collection of your prize via FB.
For those that didn’t win, please try harder next time.
Remember, it’s not about the prize, but taking up the challenge and going all out to shoot the theme in your own way and expressing yourself.
Thank you for your participation Ladies! Love you all!
Special Thanks to P & G Photographic Centre for sponsoring the Prizes!
Till then, look out for the next #07 Pink Submissions!
Follow Us or Contact Us below: